Cultural Identity.

Aha m bụ Nnamdi.

I am a descendant of Durugo the Great and a direct reincarnation of my grandfather, Ohanyerugo the 1st of Ngugo Ikembara.

My grandfather passed and gave life to me, I am his incarnate, hence my name: Nnamdi (My father is alive)

Native names bear immense significance, and I opine that all Africans accept and be proud of their native names because they house vital essence.

Edward is my English name, but I prefer being addressed as Nnamdi.

You see, I'm from the Igbo tribe, and we Igbos, and all Africans do not give our children names for fancy, there is almost always a story surrounding our names.

Upon my birth, the elders gathered, consulted, and affirmed that I am he who newly passed. Now I am saddled with the responsibility of continuing the journey of my former self.

My grandfather was a strong man, dedicated, fearless, a fighter for justice, and he never lost a sleep over speaking the truth, courageously too.

My prayer is that I marry a wife who would agree with me to give all our children native names, foreign names are beautiful, but native names are more beautiful and weighty.

While I hold nothing against foreign names, I think it is not necessary because there are thousands of beautiful cultural names wielding powerful history, just like my Yoruba name: Enitan, well, that's a story for another day.

If the world can learn to pronounce Tymoshchuk, then African names must be learnt too.

Do not be ashamed of your cultural identity.

Aha m bụ Nnamdi, gini bu nke gi?

I am Kovu.

Comments

Popular Posts